Monday, April 4, 2011

In my opinion

Hello All

I know I normally do just one blog a week, but since last night was Wrestlemania, I think I should do a blog about what I saw.

And you guys know I do not like to kill anyone writing this blog. That is not the reason why I started writing, but I think I should tell you what I saw that was good, and what I did not understand. Maybe you can tell me what you think, and even if you have heard something that I didn’t, you can let me know.

I will start off with the things I did not like very much, and end up with the things I liked. So as I walk in to the Georgia Dome and head to my seat, I am listening to what sounds like the announcer, and he is calling wrestlers names out. I think to myself, “that’s no big deal, I didn’t want to watch any of the dark matches anyway”. But when I look to see who is wrestling I see Sheamus, and Daniel Bryan. It was 6:15; I thought the show did not start till 6:30. And furthermore I thought this was going to be a title match, between two guys who are getting some good heat from the fans, why would you put this on the pre-show. Why advertise the match, if you were going to make hit happen before people were in the building.

The first match of the night……..The World Heavyweight Championship. Yes you are reading this correctly. The World title match was the first match. Alberto Del Rio won the Royal Rumble. Edge is an 11 time world champion. You think these two would have a great match later on in the card, but no, this was the 1st match. I have no idea why on earth this happened. I am still puzzled about this.

Next I am going to talk about 2 matches that I was looking very forward to, going in. They turned out to be kind of boring, and took too long to get to what we all knew would happen, we all wanted to happen, and what really had to happen. 1st Randy Orton vs. CM Punk. I was looking so forward to this match. They did a great job building it up. I thought, going in to this match with these young guys, we would have a fast paced match. Much to my chagrin, the match was very slow and plotting. It was almost like two old men were wrestling. And although the finish was good, it was very predictable. The other match I was referring to was Jerry “The King” Lawler vs. Michael Cole. This match did almost nothing for, not only me, but nothing for the Miz. This match should have been a 5 minute match. Lawler should have gotten his hands on Cole, and beat the crap out of him. But he struggled. So let me get this straight, this 61 year old man, who gave the WWE champion all he could handle, twice, can’t kick the crap out of this out of shape announcer? Neither match made sense.

I won’t even waste my time talking about the Snooki match.

And ultimately the “Main Event”. It was Wrestlemania, so I did not have a problem with both the Miz, and John Cena having new entrances. If you have seen Cena at any other Mania where he was in the main event, then you know he puts on a show. Last night was no exception. So, the match goes on and the two fight to the outside, and Cena clotheslines the Miz outside, and both men are counted out. Then the Rock comes down and restarts the match, only to then rock-bottom Cena, and cost him the match. I did not understand this at all. Why would the Rock restart to the match, just to hit his move on Cena? Could he not wait till the match was over? Could he have just let the match end like that, and go down, and kick butt on both men, as he did anyway? What was the point of him restarting the match?

I did not understand the lineup for this night. Again you had the World title match 1st. You had the Snooki match next to last. And you had the Undertaker match that had a great build up, not the main event. Also for the 1st time since going to the brand extension, and having 2 main event World title matches for each brand, you did not have a title change. I don’t understand that at all.

So now we move on to the things I loved about the night.

The 8-man tag team match surprised me very much. Although, if you heard me on 790am the zone (in Atlanta) you know I did not have much interest in the match. But it was pretty good. It was just long enough for you to see all of the guys do some of their moves, but not long enough for you to get bored.

Rey Mysterio vs. Cody Rhodes was a pretty good match. We had a young guy (who was from here and got some people to actually cheer for him) get a good win over the vet at Mania. Rhodes is starting to become a big heel. He won this match pretty much on his own (with a little help from a knee brace). He beat one of the men who held the World title last year. I think we are moving Rhodes up the ladder as a singles competitor.

Even though I spoke of things I did not like about either title match, I thought both of the matches themselves were pretty solid. I thought they had enough action to keep the crowd on the edge of their seats.

And last but certainly not least the match of the night, Undertaker vs. Triple H. The streak was extended. This was a back and forth matches between two of the best in the business today. I read somewhere that this Wrestlemania would not have a guy who would be “Mr. Wrestlemania”. I believe we have him. And his name is the Undertaker.

Overall I think it was a great event. I give it a solid B+. The match order and the whole Snooki thing really made me pull down the grade. If they would have changed those, this show would have been an A.

AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: My personal pictures from Mania will be up soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment